Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hét WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privé berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

5 December
Ga naar Pagina Vorige  1, 2

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2010 21:54    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

ARMENO - GEORGIAN WAR: 05/12/1918 – 01/01/1919.

The 5th of December 1918, was the beginning of Armeno-Georgian war that lasted only 26 days but had quite harmful consequences for the two forming nations. That day Armenian government sent troops to take over Akhalkalaki and Borchalo. The first clashes between Armenian and Georgian forces started on December 9 and reached their culmination three days later when Armenians took over the village of Sanain in Borchalo district and were forced to evacuate it on December 14. Two weeks later the hostilities were ceased under the pressure of the British mission and an agreement on borders was signed by both sides in early January 1919 in accordance with which Armenian government officially dropped their claims over Ardahan and Akhalkalaki districts, while Georgia agreed to the condominium over Lori canton of Borchalo district. However, while ending the war the agreement left both parties unsatisfied and ended in permanent strain between the two governments and severe transportation problem between the two countries.

http://conflicts.rem33.com/images/Armenia/disp.htm

"Omdat ik alles beter weet is het mijn plicht om betweters te minachten."
Marcel Wauters, Vlaams schrijver en kunstenaar 1921-2005
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2010 22:03    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

December, 1919

Last night I heard your voice, mother,
The words you sang to me
When I, a little barefoot boy,
Knelt down against your knee.

And tears gushed from my heart, mother,
And passed beyond its wall,
But though the fountain reached my throat
The drops refused to fall.

'Tis ten years since you died, mother,
Just ten dark years of pain,
And oh, I only wish that I
Could weep just once again.

Claude McKay

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/december-1919/
Meer juweeltjes: http://www.poemhunter.com/p/m/l.asp?p=1&l=Top500&order=title

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2010 22:07    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Fort aan de Drecht: Sinterklaas (1914) bezoekt het Fort

http://www.fortaandedrecht.nl/index.php?/1914-sinterklaas.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2010 22:18    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

COLLECTIE TROPENMUSEUM - De heren Baum en Schreuder als Sinterklaas en Zwarte Piet, 05-12-1917

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_De_heren_Baum_en_Schreuder_als_Sinterklaas_en_Zwarte_Piet_TMnr_60021668.jpg

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2010 22:57    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Preceding the Outbreak of War

5 December 1912 - The last renewal of the Triple Alliance, for six years from July 1914. Italy was agreeable to this because of a closer relationship with Austria than hitherto, and greater friction with the Anglo-French entente, chiefly over Italy's occupation of the Dodecanese Islands after the Tripolitan War, only recently ended. Italian bases there appeared a threat to Anglo-French naval dominance in the Eastern Mediterranean.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/mowbray/gw-pre.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2010 23:21    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Dirigibles, Airships, Zeppelins and Blimps
by R. D. Layman

The rigid airship no longer exists; none has been built since the 1930s. The demise is usually blamed on the Hindenburg disaster 6 although that had been preceded by the loss of a number of American, British, French and Italian rigids. All airships flying today are non-rigid types, popularly known as blimps.

A number of theories have been advanced concerning the etymology of "blimp," but in fact it is an onomatopoeic word whose coinage can be traced specifically to 5-Dec-1915 when Royal Naval Air Service Lieutenant A. D. Cunningham playfully flicked a finger against the envelope of SS. 12 at the Capel air station and then mimicked aloud the sound It had made.

"Blimp," then, is essentially a slang term, although it was given one official cachet in Jul-1943 when the U.S. Navy, the only service in the world to operate airships during World War II, inexplicably changed the designation "airship patrol squadron:" to "blimp squadron."

http://www.worldwar1.com/sfzepp.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2010 23:26    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

A GALLIPOLI DIARY
by J. STARKIE

These are a few extracts from the diaries kept by my Great Uncle during the short time he served with the Royal Naval Division of the Engineers in Gallipoli in 1915.
James Starkie was born in 1892 in Nelson, Lancashire, the fourth child of Thomas Edward and Susannah Starkie of Hargreaves Street.

November 23rd - Today in one of my saps we had to cut by three new dead Turks, evidently those whom we could hear groaning. Their barbed wire is almost touching ours we are so close and still we are sapping nearer.

November 29th - First snow with blizzards, the cold is terrible. All the rifles in the line were frozen so bombs were dished out.

December 1st - ..................

Extracts from letters sent by Sapper Sam Smith of Burnley to his Mother:-

December 1st - I am very sorry to say that Jimmy Starkie has been wounded in the leg by a shell. It occurred this morning. From what I hear he was in his dug out up at the trenches laying down and the shell came and took away some of his flesh. I am writing to his Mother today. Jimmy was my best pal and I do hope he will pull through satisfactorily.

December 4th - This morning I learned the sad news that Jimmy Starkie has succumbed to his wounds. I little thought when I saw him a fortnight ago it would be for the last time. Poor Jimmy! The whole of his Company will miss his smiling face and his genial personality.

The following is from a letter sent by the Chaplain of the Royal Naval Division to the Mother of James Starkie:

December 5th 1915

Dear Mrs Starkie,
Yesterday I buried J. Starkie, who had been hit while he was in the trenches. We have a little cemetery here, which is quite like an English one. His comrades are putting up a cross over the grave. We all prayed for you at the service that you might be comforted.

http://www.eastlancsmemorials.co.uk/diary/diary.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2010 23:51    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Planning for 1916

On December 5, 1915, representatives of the Allied powers gathered at the French headquarters in Chantilly to discuss plans for the coming year. Under the nominal leadership of General Joseph Joffre, the meeting came to the conclusion that the minor fronts that had been opened in places such as Salonika and the Middle East would not be reinforced and that the focus would be on mounting coordinating offensives in Europe. The goal of these was to prevent the Central Powers from shifting troops to defeat each offensive in turn. While the Italians sought to renew their efforts along the Isonzo, the Russians, having made good their losses from the previous year, intended to advance into Poland.

On the Western Front, Joffre and the new commander of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF), General Sir Douglas Haig, debated strategy. While Joffre initially favored several smaller assaults, Haig desired to launch a major offensive in Flanders. After much discussion, the two decided on a combined offensive along the Somme River, with the British on the north bank and the French on the south. Though both armies had been bled in 1915, they had succeeded in raising large numbers of new troops which allowed the offensive to move forward. Most notable of these were the twenty-four New Army divisions formed under the guidance of Lord Kitchener. Comprised of volunteers, the New Army units were raised under the promise of "those who joined together would serve together." As a result, many of the units were comprised of soldiers from the same towns or localities, leading to them being referred to as "Chums" or "Pals" battalions.

Lees verder op http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/worldwarioverview/a/1916.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Dec 2017 12:24    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Mail Tribune 100, Dec. 5, 1917: EXHIBITION OF COMPANY SEVEN PICTURE SUCCESS

EXHIBITION OF COMPANY SEVEN PICTURE SUCCESS

The exhibition of the Seventh company picture proved to be a success not only from a financial standpoint but also in the enjoyment afforded the audiences. The friends of the boys who came to see them at the Page were surely not disappointed, as the pictures were clear, all featuring incidents of camp life which were of great interest. The various groups of the squads with their respective corporals and the sergeants were especially satisfactory, showing as they did each man in the company. The officers’ pictures were also very much appreciated. Many compliments were expressed for Captain Vance for his excellent work with the camera and the good taste and judgement which he displayed in choosing the scenes and incidents portrayed.

The Soldiers’ Auxiliary takes this opportunity to express its great appreciation of the generosity and many courtesies received from the Page management in connection with the exhibition.

The auxiliary also wishes to acknowledge the courtesies extended by the press, which contributed greatly to the success of the undertaking. An acknowledgement is also due the Swem studio for the accommodations received from them in the preparation of the slides and other matters related to the exhibition.

ASHLAND AND VICINITY

Some time ago a local physician’s car accidentally ran over and killed a blue-ribboned pet dog owned by a woman on the boulevard. The woman sought revenge and on Monday shot the doctor’s big Newfoundland pup, familiarly known all over town by the name of “Rover.” Complications are liable to ensue over developments as to shooting on the streets, carrying concealed weapons, etc. In the meantime Rover is rapidly recovering from the effects of the fusillade. The shooting may result in a questionnaire at the hands of local court officials.

http://www.mailtribune.com/news/20171205/mail-tribune-100-dec-5-1917

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Dec 2017 12:25    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Wyoming State Historical Society

December 5, 1917: Gov. Frank Houx asked for closing of saloons statewide to regulate sales as a war measure.

Spoilsport... https://www.wyohistory.org/this-date-in-history/december-5-1917

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Dec 2017 12:31    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

PUNCH, OR THE LONDON CHARIVARI - Vol. 153 - December 5, 1917.

THE HUT.

As ordered, we marched the Battery to B 35d 45.25. Reader, have you ever lived in, or on, an unfurnished map-reference in Flanders? If not, permit me to inform you that this group of letters and numerals represented a mud-flat pocked with ancient shell-craters, through which loafed an unwholesome stream under a bilious-looking sky. The Junior Subaltern, fresh from home, asked where the billets were. We could but bless his happy innocence and remind him that as Army Field Artillery we were nobody's children, the orphan bravoes of the Western Front, and that for us a bunch of map co-ordinates was considered ample provision.

The horses, having with proper pride sneered at the stream, were silenced with their nosebags, and then we asked our cook what about it? That dauntless artist in bully-beef promptly brought our far-travelled mess-table into action in the open, and thus publicly we sat round it on our valises and drank Vichy water until the novelty palled. Then the rain began and the men once more united in wishing themselves in Tennessee.

The Captain was now driven from the bosom of the mess to find a Camp Commandant, and to tell him, with the Major's compliments, that even the personnel of Army Brigades were liable, in the words of the book, to deteriorate rapidly if unprotected from damp. The officer, whom he found lurking in a neighbouring Nissen hut, was tall and stately, but admitted, under pressure, that to him was entrusted the stewardship of our mud-flat and the adjacent camps, and that he could give us a mess. Through the insistent drizzle this person, smiling now very pleasantly, led us to a depressed wooden building that suggested a derelict Noah's Ark with a sinister look about the windows. The bad-tempered sky scowled between the planks of the roof; the querulous wind whined up through the floor; rats backed snarling into the corners on our entrance.

"This is the place," said the C.C. "You'll soon make yourselves very comfortable."

That night I dreamed I was a "U" boat, and started up, snorting, to find myself under a cascade, while the felt upon the roof banged and rasped and flapped. It sounded as if the ark were trying to fly, but found its wings rusty. At dawn we sent the Captain out, and refused him breakfast till by some resource of ingenuity or crime he obtained certain sausages of new felt. These our fearless batmen unrolled and nailed upon the roof. After his porridge we pushed him out again with a strong party under orders to carry the nearest R.E. dump by force or fraud, and secure large quantities of timber, nails, canvas and, if possible (the up-to-date R.E. dump secretes many unexpected commodities), Turkey carpets, wall-paper, sofa-cushions and bedroom-slippers.

The batmen were sent out with a limbered cart, some smoke shell and the total establishment of billhooks, and forbidden to return without sufficient material for bedsteads, window-shutters, bookshelves and chairs. By evening the place began to feel habitable, and the C.C., when he looked in to borrow a horse, endeared himself to us all by his obvious pleasure in our comparative comfort. We lent him the best horse in the battery.

The Major's batman devoted the following day to the construction of a species of retiring-room at one end of the hut, wherein the modest members of the mess might bathe and splash at ease. The remainder of the servants went out armed and returned with (1) a zinc bath, (2) a stove, (3) a cuckoo clock, (4) a large mirror, (5) a warming-pan. "Once let us make a home for ourselves," we said, "and our energies will be free to finish the War." We devoted every cunning worker in the battery to this great end. Drill was abandoned, stables forgotten. We installed bookshelves, bootjacks, a sideboard, hat racks, a dumb waiter, a stand for the gramophone and a roll-top desk for the Major. The walls were tapestried with canvas, hung with pictures, scalps, and the various decorations won by members of the mess. The original building, disreputable and hateful, was hidden and forgotten.

And then the C.C. called again, and, after a minute and admiring inspection of our abode, informed us that to his bitter sorrow he had to turn us out; [pg 387] umteen battalions of infantry were coming in and had to be accommodated—this being an infantry camp....

That night, as I walked about in the rain, I looked in at the open door of our lost home. Two N.C.O.'s were sitting over our stove, lost, lonely in the elongated emptiness; longing, I knew, to be with their comrades bellowing in an adjacent hut. And so I understood and knew at length how Camp Commandants manage the maintenance and improvement of their domain. I devote myself now to warning the simple-hearted gunner against unfurnished huts and the hospitality of Camp Commandants. And some day I hope to be in a position to lend that particular C.C. another horse.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11425/11425-h/11425-h.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Dec 2017 12:32    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

05/12/1917 - Belgische piloot bekoopt kunststukje met zijn leven

De Belgische piloot Pierre Braun ter Meren bezoekt zijn gewonde broer in het rode Kruishospitaal L'Océan in de Panne. Wat later stijgt hij op met zijn Spad VII. Hij wil zijn laatste luchtoverwinning vieren met een rol boven de zee.

Het gaat mis, het toestel raakt met een vleugel de golven en stort neer. Zijn stoffelijk overschot zal pas een week later aanspoelen. De onderluitenant-piloot is pas 20 jaar geworden.

http://kw.knack.be/west-vlaanderen/nieuws/geschiedenis/05-12-1917-belgische-piloot-bekoopt-kunststukje-met-zijn-leven/article-normal-288915.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Dec 2017 12:34    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Powhatan Clarke telegram to Mrs. Claude Matthews - December 5, 1917

Powhatan Clarke sent this telegram to Mrs. Claude Matthews and said he would send his address as soon as possible. Clarke served with the 21st Aero Squadron and Labor Bureau A.E.F. during Word War I.

Effe klikken... http://cdm16795.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/overthere/id/12561

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Dec 2017 12:36    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Jarbidge Stage Robbery

The Jarbidge Stage Robbery was the last stage robbery in the Old West. On December 5, 1916, the driver of a small two-horse mail wagon was ambushed as he was riding to the town of Jarbidge, Nevada. The driver was killed and $4,000 was stolen, however, three suspects were arrested shortly afterward, including a horse thief named Ben Kuhl. Kuhl would eventually become the first murderer in American history to be convicted and sent to prison by the use of palm print evidence. The stolen $4,000 was never recovered and is said to be buried somewhere in Jarbidge Canyon. According to author Ken Weinman, the Jarbidge Stage Robbery is one of the "best authenticated buried treasure stories in Nevada's long history."

Koel verhaal! Lees verder op https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarbidge_Stage_Robbery

Naar boven
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Ga naar Pagina Vorige  1, 2
Pagina 2 van 2

Ga naar: