Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hét WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privé berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

Bellewaarde 16th June 1915

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Algemeen Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
martinclift

BerichtGeplaatst: 23 Jun 2011 22:13    Onderwerp: Bellewaarde 16th June 1915 Reageer met quote

The 1st Battle of Bellewaarde took place 16th June 1915 in a field east of Ypres which was about half a mile square. The British attack on the German high ground would last until near the end of the day. Many soldiers died on both sides.

This battle was one of those conflicts that got lost in the memories and was mixed with those of 'Passchendaele' 'The Somme' '1st 2nd 3rd Battle of ypres'. When I started my research I could find very little information, but after 18 months of research I put my website together

www.bellewaarde1915.co.uk

I am still looking for information regarding this fateful day, so if you can help please contact me either through this forum or via the contact link on the site.

I hope you will enjoy viewing the site. You can leave a message or remembrance message through the links at the bottom of the page

Regards
Martin

De 1e Slag bij Bellewaarde vond plaats 16 juni 1915 in een veld ten oosten van Ieper, die was ongeveer een halve mijl plein. De Britse aanval op de Duitse hoge grond zou duren tot aan het einde van de dag. Veel soldaten stierven aan beide zijden.

Deze slag was een van die conflicten die werd verloren in de herinneringen en werd vermengd met die van 'Passendale' 'The Somme' '1 st 2de 3de Slag bij Ieper '. Toen ik mijn onderzoek begon ik kon vinden zeer weinig informatie, maar na 18 maanden onderzoek ik mijn website bij elkaar

www.bellewaarde1915.co.uk

Ik ben nog op zoek naar informatie met betrekking tot deze noodlottige dag, dus als u kunt helpen neem dan contact met mij op via dit forum of via de contact link op de site.

Ik hoop dat u zult genieten van het bekijken van de site. U kunt een bericht achterlaten of een herinnering bericht via de links aan de onderkant van de pagina

Groeten
Martin
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Bekijk de homepage
Bert

BerichtGeplaatst: 24 Jun 2011 16:45    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Het VIOE heeft daar een klein archeologisch onderzoek gedaan waarbij een vernietigde Duitse positie werd opgegraven. Vorig jaar was dat denk ik. Best eens navragen via info@vioe.be.
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail
pifilsofimos

BerichtGeplaatst: 24 Jun 2011 17:40    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Wonderful site you created. I didn't have the chance to check all your sources but I suppose these two books are mentioned somewhere as they give an extended survey on the battle :

Mud and Khaki by Clapham
The 2nd Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War by James W. Taylor

I was really fascinated by the story of Robert Gordon of the Gordon Highlanders and I see this story is also part of your site.

This area around Railway Wood is also the area where Julian Grenfell fought and died and one of the last veterans Jack Davis who was still alive 6 years ago, met his brother there.It isthe area where RE Boothby worked underground and reportedon this in his letters in the book ' Thirty odd feet below Belgium'.

A tiny place with a horrifying history.
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
martinclift

BerichtGeplaatst: 24 Jun 2011 18:25    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

pifilsofimos, many thanks for your kind comments, they are really appreciated.
Yes you are right about the books. At first I thought of reading books and then putting it down in my words, but I thought why fix what isn't broken! So, I managed to get permission from publishers to use the extracts and I think it has made the site richer as much of what was written was written by those who were there.

Regards

Martin
martinclift

BerichtGeplaatst: 24 Jun 2011 20:10    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Hi Bert
Dank U dat u mij het ​​e-mailadres van VIOE, heb ik per e-mail ze dus hopelijk zou ik van hen horen binnenkort.

Groeten

Martin
Patrick Mestdag

BerichtGeplaatst: 25 Jun 2011 11:50    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Indeed a very fine web site Martin , work well done congrats
Still have to explore and to read it further ,
so much information thanks .

A thought
When Bellewaerde theme park was created in 1954,
and further on modifcatons and enlargments, were made .
Have they kept a listing of their war related findings ?

@+
Patrick

Laatst aangepast door Patrick Mestdag op 25 Jun 2011 14:28, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail Bekijk de homepage
martinclift

BerichtGeplaatst: 25 Jun 2011 12:39    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Hi Patrick

Thank you for your comments and I hope you find further reading worthwhile.

The point you make about the theme park is a very good one that I had not thought of. I would think that anything they found would be in the Hooge Crater Museum, but I will look further into the possibility of more information.

Regards

Martin
Bert

BerichtGeplaatst: 26 Jun 2011 15:09    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The site of Bellewaerde theme park is slightly off the 1915 Bellewaerde battlefield. It is in the rear German lines of the positions at Hooge, while the rear German positions at Bellewaerde are more towards the Frezenberg/Eksternest, which was the regimental headquarter. The Bellewaerde theme park is at the site of Chateau wood (refering to the Hooge castle), which Frank Hurley immortalised in his famous 1917 picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chateau_Wood_Ypres_1917.jpg).
And no, no list has been made of finds when the park was developed.

If contacting VIOE through this e-mail adress doesn't work, please PM me.

regards,

Bert.
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail
martinclift

BerichtGeplaatst: 26 Jun 2011 16:13    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Hi Bert

Yes you are correct, I have checked Google Maps and find the theme park further back and to the right, away from Ypres.

I have sent an email to VIOE, so let's hope they can tell us anything about the area of the dig, I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Regards

Martin
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Algemeen Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: