Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hét WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privé berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

Passchendeale- de film
Ga naar Pagina Vorige  1, 2, 3, 4  Volgende

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Tv,films en Social Media Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Regulus 1

Woonplaats: Jabbeke, Flanders - Home of the Marine Jagdgeschwader in WW I

BerichtGeplaatst: 11 Aug 2008 8:52    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

In Canada werd de trailer van de film trouwens getoond voor de nieuwe Indiana Jones en voor de Sex and the City film.
Piron

BerichtGeplaatst: 11 Aug 2008 9:20    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Regulus 1 @ 11 Aug 2008 9:48 schreef:
De realiteit gaat echter zo eenvoudig niet zijn, omdat er blijkbaar in de ganse regio geen enkele locatie groot genoeg zou zijn om de film te projecteren in optimale omstandigheden.

Open lucht zou eventueel een optie kunnen zijn, maar de vraag is natuurlijk hoe het dan met de weersomstandigheden zal gesteld zijn, een risico die de filmmakers vermoedelijk niet zullen durven nemen.

Het zou anders wel passend zijn.
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
Regulus 1

BerichtGeplaatst: 11 Aug 2008 9:23    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Toch wel bizar, hoewel de film het festival opent op 4 september, is er op de officiële site van het festival maar één parsbericht over te vinden van 16 juni ll.

http://www.tiffg.ca/mediacentre/viewrelease.aspx?recordId=545

Ondertussen is de film bij de Kinepolis groep nog steeds niet gepland.
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Sep 2008 5:56    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Only in Canada? Not a pity, Gross says

Wed, September 3, 2008
Only in Canada? Not a pity, Gross says
By BRUCE KIRKLAND

Passchendaele may not appeal to Americans, and he doesn't much care, actor-filmmaker Paul Gross says.

"At face value," Gross tells Sun Media about marketing his new war epic in the U.S., "it certainly would be an uphill climb. But pretty much everything would be with the Americans, so I don't know if its in a special category."

Passchendaele is an intimate account of Canadian participation in the First World War, especially at the final battle of Passchendaele in Belgium.

The first section begins just after Vimy Ridge, another battle in which Canadians excelled, at great cost.

Americans will not see themselves on screen.

"But I certainly wasn't making it for the American audience," Gross says.

"It's really made for my own country. I guess it's just something that I wanted to do and, to some extent, these things became personal in almost an indefinable way. It is obviously something that has continued to compell me for years and years and years."

The Calgary-born Gross, who maintains a ranch in the Alberta badlands, wrote and directed Passchendaele.

He plays the character of soldier Michael Dunne, named for his grandfather.

Including the battle scenes, the film was shot in and near Calgary, as well as in Fort Macleod.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Entertainment/MovieNews/2008/09/03/6644296-sun.html

https://twitter.com/ForumWO1
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail Bekijk de homepage
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Sep 2008 6:01    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Film Review: Passchendaele

Bottom Line: A war movie that can't make up its mind whether war is bad or something one can be proud of

By Kirk Honeycutt

Sep 4, 2008

Toronto International Film Festival, Opening Night

TORONTO -- The raison d'etre for "Passchendaele" is a savage World War I battle by that name, a proud yet horrific moment in Canadian history that cost the still-young and -underpopulated country so many of its finest young men.

But to get several major characters from a small frontier town in Alberta to the bloody fields of Ypres, Belgium, Paul Gross, the star-writer-director of the film, dives through hoops of increasing mawkishness and strained melodrama. The carnage of the battle has undoubted impact, but much less than it deserves since the audience has lost all hope in the cardboard characters.

The film might play entirely differently here in Canada --where it is meant as a heartfelt tribute to Canadian troops in their first major international combat -- than it will elsewhere. So exposure beyond festival slots is iffy. A war film about pride, honor and glory is a tough sell anywhere else these days. Alliance Films has Canadian distribution.
WWI was the first major war where the devastation of heavy artillery to the human body became shockingly clear. As the story involves a doctor and nurse all too familiar with such wounds -- when there is even a whole body to examine -- Gross makes certain the audience is well prepared for the slaughter.

The film opens with a brief but ruthless sequence in northern France where Sgt. Michael Dunne (Gross) -- not coincidentally the name of Gross' grandfather who served in the 10th Battalion -- is the sole survivor of a battle against a German machine gun nest. It ends when he bayonets a boy soldier in the forehead, an image that will forever haunt him.

Returned wounded and shellshocked to his hometown, Michael falls for a nurse, Sarah (Caroline Dhavernas). Sarah and her brother are ostracized by the town because they are not only German but their father left to fight for the "godless Huns." Sarah has become a morphine addict, while David (Joe Dinicol) is determined to demonstrate his patriotism and manhood by volunteering despite chronic asthma that makes his unfit for duty.

The home front sequences pretty much stop the movie dead in its tracks. The writing is stilted and prone to cliche, while the acting ranges from cartoonish in smaller roles to workmanlike in major ones. Although no one plot twist or coincidence is entirely improbable, the culmination of all this plot mechanics makes one lose confidence in the storytelling.

Gross demonstrates a striking ambivalence about the film's graphic climax. Taking place in pouring rain and a deluge of exploding mortar shells and machine gun fire, the deaths of Passchendaele have no nobility whatsoever. Yet Gross means to wave the flag. He tries to imagine what it must have been like for his grandfather to experience chaos and carnage on every side with no sense of purpose or reason. He does this very well, in fact. But his insistence that this battle is nonetheless a shining moment for Canadians is at odds with the utter degradation and cruelty of those deaths.

Michael has the right perspective on what war really is -- a pointless bayonet to the forehead. He refuses to buy into any of the patriotic fever or bigotry that inflames his hometown. There's no romance in the trenches, he tells David. And yet he rushes back into battle to protect David because of his great love for Sarah. Then Sarah turns up on the front line as a nurse. No romance indeed!

Production: Rhombus Media/Whizbang Films/Damberger Film and Cattle Co. Cast: Paul Gross, Caroline Dhavernas, Joe Dinicol, Meredith Bailey, Jim Mezon, Gil Bellows. Director-screenwriter: Paul Gross. Producers: Niv Fichman, Frank Siracusa, Francis Damberger, Paul Gross. Director of photography: Gregory Middleton. Production designer: Carol Spier. Music: Jan A.C. Kaczmarek. Costume designer: Wendy Partridge. Editor: David Wharnsby. Sales: Passchendaele Film Distribution Limited Partnership. No rating, 95 minutes.

© http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/awards_festivals/fest_reviews/article_display.jsp?JSESSIONID=TtGlLQRbs9DBLHXHZnpCcX4nKkWWNQQFKY5pDRcdv7rNXCVFlfSy!-1157692487&&rid=11601

Naar boven
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Sep 2008 6:07    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Passchendaele
(Canada)
By EDDIE COCKRELL

An Alliance Film release of a Rhombus Media, Whizbang Films/Damberger Film & Cattle Co. production. (International sales: Rhombus Media, Toronto.) Produced by Niv Fichman, Frank Siracusa, Francis Damberger, Paul Gross. Directed, written by Paul Gross.

With: Paul Gross, Caroline Dhavernas, Joe Dinicol, Meredith Bailey, Jim Mezon, Gil Bellows.

Unchecked histrionics overrun vivid ballistics in the Canadian World War I meller "Passchendaele" (pronounced "passiondale."). Toronto fest opener crudely welds the grisly verisimilitude of "Saving Private Ryan" to the contempo cultural revisionism of "Pearl Harbor" but can't forge the disparate tones into a powerful whole, suggesting a limited charge beyond the domestic battlefield. Pic opens Oct. 17 across Canada.

Often compared to the Australian stand at Gallipoli for its squandering of valiant young life in the service of an ultimately futile cause, the 1917 events in the eponymous Belgian burg were part of the larger Third Battle of Ypres, which saw 140,000 Allied soldiers lost in a swampy moonscape of death. It's a matter of great national pride that the Canadian Corps secured the land against entrenched German forces; that the ground was retaken shortly thereafter serves as another cautionary tale of war's hell.

Pic's opening sequence lays out the filmmakers' ill-advised strategy of having modern slang issue from Great War doughboys. "Everybody good?" barks dashing Sgt. Michael Dunne (Paul Gross, writer, director, co-producer and star) to a decimated platoon. He's subsequently injured in an artillery blast, but not before taking out a pillbox singlehandedly and brutally bayoneting a German soldier in the forehead.

Recuperating in his hometown Calgary recruitment office, the shell-shocked Dunne is smitten with hospital nurse Sarah Mann (Caroline Dhavernas). She's got baggage of her own, however, including a morphine addiction and an impetuous younger brother, David (Joe Dinicol), whose asthma prevents his enlistment.

Revelation that deceased Mann pere was a German soldier stirs tensions among the townspeople, including dastardly Brit officer Randolph Dobson-Hughes (Jim Mezon), who's convinced that Dunne's condition spells cowardice and so connives to have David conscripted.

At the 81-minute mark, the story shifts back to war, finding the falsely re-enlisted Dunne acting as David's guardian angel to please Sarah, who's conveniently caught up with them as a triage nurse. Stage is set for a pitched battle that fills the later reels, a relentless mix of fearful yet repetitive gore and surreal imagery that approaches the absurd.

A Canadian star on the strength of local tube hit "Due South" and the bigscreen curling comedy "Men With Brooms," Gross, whose script was inspired by his vet grandfather's stories, here reaches beyond his grasp; while clearly sincere, pic feels at once naive in its cardboard characterizations and calculating in its depiction of war's horrors. His square-jawed leading turn stands in sharp contrast to the numerous underwritten secondary roles, and that modern slang simply doesn't fit.

Tech package is aces, from longtime David Cronenberg production designer Carol Spier's re-creation of the rain-soaked battlefield on 50 acres of Alberta parkland to the cumbersome wool and paraphernalia of Wendy Partridge's costumes. Pic opens October 17 across Canada.
More than one option

* (Tv) Due South
Paul Gross, Fred Gerber
* (Tv) Due South
Series Information, Seasons, Credits, Awards

Camera (color, widescreen), Gregory Middleton; editor, David Wharnsby; music, Jan. A.C. Kaczmarek; production designer, Carol Spier; costume designer, Wendy Partridge; sound (Dolby Digital), Jane Tattersall, Barry Gilmore, Dave Rose; assistant director, Philip Chipera; visual effects producer, Julie Lawrence; makeup effects producer, Gail Kennedy. Reviewed at Toronto Film Festival (Gala Presentations, opener), Sept. 4, 2008. Running time: 114 MIN.

© http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117938199.html?categoryid=2863&cs=1

Naar boven
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Sep 2008 6:08    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Passchendaele
Dir Paul Gross vlag zwaaien Gross, Caroline Dhavernas. Gala.

BY Jason Anderson

Paul Gross’ ambitious campaign to create a bona fide romantic war epic for his homeland is not just noble but downright exciting for those of us who long for Anglophone Canadians to pay more attention to their own movies. But Passchendaele doesn’t get the right balance of elements. Instead, it’s stuffed with so much hokey melodrama, homily-ridden dialogue and glossy, tourism-ad shots of Albertan scenery that there’s not enough room to provide a fuller sense of the experience or significance of Canadian soldiers’ efforts at the titular WWI battle.

Gross plays Michael, a shell-shocked soldier who recovers in Calgary before shipping out again to protect the brother of the woman he loves (Caroline Dhavernas). Due to the broad-strokes narrative and abundance of one-note characters, the scenes on the home front can be a slog but at least the foothills look pretty. The long-in-the-coming battle sequences are appropriately harrowing but they too are stymied by an ill-judged romantic scene — lighting lovers with mortar fire is a bit much — and a last-minute stab at casting the whole tale as a religious allegory. In the process of designing Passchendaele to have the widest possible appeal, Gross fails to give his epic the shape and scope it needs.

© http://www.eyeweekly.com/galapresentations/article/38274

Naar boven
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Sep 2008 6:16    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The 33rd Annual Toronto International Film Festival began this evening with opening night celebrations in Toronto.

In accordance with Festival custom, the opening night gala presentation was a Canadian feature film. Past opening night galas have included Deepa Mehta’s “Water”, which was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.

This year, veteran Canadian actor and sophmore director Paul Gross was bestowed the honor of opening the Festival with his World War I drama, “Passchendaele”.

Some of you will recognize Gross from his starring roles on Canadian television, including series such as “Due South” and “Slings and Arrows”. Gross stepped into the director’s chair in 2002 with his first feature film, a comedy called “Men with Brooms”. In homage to his western Canadian roots, Gross premiered that film at the Edmonton International Film Festival (which, until this very moment, I did not even realize existed).

Six years have passed since Gross’ feature film debut, and he has apparently moved up the entertainment industry food chain. “Men with Brooms” was well-received (for a Canadian film), and he received a green light to write, direct and produce the most expensive war film ever made in Canada (its estimated budget is $20,000,000.00). To be able to open the “Festival of Festivals” is simply the icing on a very rich cake.

“Passchendaele” is not merely another day at the office for Gross - it is a production that he has dreamed of making throughout his career in film. After spending a lifetime growing up on Canadian and European army bases, and listening to his grandfather weave war stories from his experiences in World War I, Gross knew that he had to breathe life into one of the bloodiest battles of the war, to remind Canadians what their predecessors had sacrificed for them.

“Passchendaele” tells the story of Michael Dunne (Gross), a battle weary soldier who returns to Canada after being wounded in Germany. Psychologically scarred as a result of his experiences, Dunne briefly goes AWOL in Europe, but eventually returns to the fray and faces a possible court martial and execution for desertion if he is deemed to have intentionally abandoned his post. Dunne garners the sympathy of other officers who have seen battle, and finds himself assigned to recruiting soldiers in his hometown of Calgary. During his recovery, Dunne encounters Sara (Caroline Dhavernas), an armed forces nurse, and the two fall in love. Sara has her own “battle scars” and together the two manage to find some degree of peace. This peace is disrupted, however, when Sara’s impetus young brother David (Joe Dinicol) falsifies his medical records and enlists in order to impress his girlfriend’s family. Dunne follows young David onto the battlefield in order to protect him, but eventually the two find themselves caught in the middle of the Battle of Passchendaele.

If I can make one observation about Canadian films (one that will probably make me a bit unpopular), it is the fact that Canadian filmmakers have yet to produce a film (at least one that I have seen) that does not look like it should be playing on CBC’s Movie of the Week. While there are moments during Passchendaele that I observed a “silver screen” quality attempting to break out, there were just as many moments that I was waiting for the film to be interrupted by a news update from Lloyd Robertson. This does not mean that I feel that Canadian films are inferior, but rather that they are missing a certain “je ne sais quoi” that would make them more appealing to an international audience.

Above all, Passchendaele is a testament to the fact that Paul Gross is a gem in the Canadian film industry. He is a talented writer and director but, above all, he is a superb actor. He delivered an evocative, moving performance. He was a pleasure to watch.

There are some aspects of this film that I could critique, but I think that it would be a bit un-Canadian of me to do that on the heels of the film’s gala opening. I will save those comments for a review of this film when it is released to theaters. Suffice it to say that “Passchendaele” is not a perfect film, but it is a significant film, infused with symbolism and Canadian pride. Its battle scenes are breathtaking.

I have no doubt that “Passchendaele” will become an annual fixture in the lead-up to Canada’s Remembrance Day. And it should be - Paul Gross has created a heartfelt homage to Canada’s men in uniform, and he has created a piece of art that serves as a reminder to all of the price that was paid to preserve our liberty.

And, at a time when our young men once again find themselves overseas, I think that "Passchendaele" is a fitting choice for a Canada's premier Film Festival.

© http://www.empiremovies.com/index.php?id=24393

Naar boven
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Sep 2008 6:21    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Passchendaele ignites praise, criticism
Early reviews laud war scenes, denounce cliches

Calgary Herald
Published: Saturday, September 06, 2008

Some early reviews of Passchendaele, Paul Gross's much anticipated Canadian war epic, are trickling in after its debut at the Toronto film festival on Thursday, and the verdict so far isn't a pretty one, but not exactly damning either.

Reviewers are praising the made-in-Calgary film's war scenes as intense, gritty and brutal. But many say the film is muddied by mixed messages and a love story that doesn't mesh with the film's larger themes.

Although more comprehensive reviews of the movie won't be written until it is released nationwide later this year, the Hollywood Reporter gave the movie a middling review, praising Gross's reimagining of the epic battle his own grandfather fought in during the First World War.

The review, however, says "Gross demonstrates a striking ambivalence about the film's graphic climax." Even less kind things were said about Passchendaele's script.

Online bloggers are also weighing in by giving kudos to the battle scenes, but not its larger message.

The Dark of the Matinee blog said Passchendaele contains a "heavy handed message, about five war cliches too many and a visual metaphor that had me waiting for an usher to come tap me on the shoulder and whisper 'This is important.' " But the review did recommend Passchendaele as worth a look for its moments of great writing and good intentions.

Others were more positive. On the website In Contention, another blogger wrote that Passchendaele is "a tad predictable," but "a damned fine movie that we have every right to be proud of." The debate over the film will likely just grow until its Canadian release. Such attention is rarely heaped on a Canadian film, but this one is different. Gross fought for years to get it made, and cobbled together a $20 million budget, the biggest ever for a Canadian feature.

It's opening night slot at the Toronto International Film Festival also gave it an international profile rarely enjoyed by Canadian films.

© The Calgary Herald 2008

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/entertainment/story.html?id=41d2a2c4-3eb6-4307-acc6-96d7819b0bde

Naar boven
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Sep 2008 15:01    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Passchendaele
Toronto International Film Festival
By Larry Anklewicz Sunday, September 7, 2008

The 2008 edition of the Toronto International Film Festival got off the ground with a terrific new film by Director, Screenwriter and Actor, Paul Gross.

Passchendaele is a work of love that has taken many years to get off the ground and onto the screen. Gross was first made aware of the story of Passchendale because his grandfather fought at that battle during World War I. In fact, Gross’ grandfather was wounded during the battle, one of three wounds he sustained during that War, but he later suffered terrible nightmares about the War.

World War I was not a pretty war. It was often fought in the mud and rain and with rather primitive weapons. The casualties were heavy. Some 16,000 Canadians died in the Battle of Passchendaele, and the wounded often suffered for the rest of their lives.

Although most of the film is really a romance, the two major scenes that open and close the film show the brutality and futility of warfare. And that is exactly what Gross had in mind. He wanted to show that war was a terrible thing and a waste of young lives.

The love story in between the two battle scenes, tends to underline the cruelty and inhumanity of war and also underscore the jingoism that prevailed in Canada during those times. Very few people seemed to question the validity of the war and very few people were brave enough to oppose it.

This is a much deeper and more complex film than one may first imagine. It deals with the question of the shellshock suffered by the soldiers who participated in the war and it deals with feelings and emotions.

As a result, it was a most appropriate film to select as the Opening Night Premiere. And it is one of the biggest films to have ever been shot in Canada, with a budget in excess of $20 million.

Watch for it when it opens in local theatres in October. Although some reviewers have not been too kind to the film, I do believe it is a film that had to be made and Paul Gross was the perfect person to have made it.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/4877

Naar boven
arneken

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Sep 2008 18:02    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

dat liefdesverhaal gooit blijkbaar roet in het eten
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht MSN Messenger
eagle

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Sep 2008 18:30    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Duurste Canadese film ooit opent Toronto

http://www.cinema.nl/artikelen/4000971/duurste-canadese-film-ooit-opent-toronto

Quote:
Passchendaele probeert melodrama – inclusief een erotische scene aan het slagveld, vol vertragingen, close-ups en violen –, een anti-oorlogsboodschap en patriottisme te mengen. Dat pakt ondanks prachtige decors niet goed uit.
Naar boven
Regulus 1

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Sep 2008 18:49    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Ziet er weer typisch gezever uit van een flutjournalist die de films zelfs nog niet gezien heeft, anders zou men er toch meer kunnen over zeggen dan welgeteld twee zinnetjes ?
walterwill

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Sep 2008 7:35    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Uiteindelijk werd Passendale door het Belgische leger bevrijd, dat wordt kennelijk vergeten...
Naar boven
eagle

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Sep 2008 8:34    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Quote:
Ziet er weer typisch gezever uit van een flutjournalist die de films zelfs nog niet gezien heeft, anders zou men er toch meer kunnen over zeggen dan welgeteld twee zinnetjes ?
Als je de link bekeken had zou je dit waarschijnlijk niet gezegd hebben, de quote heb ik gemaakt, het is een citaat uit een artikel dat als reportage van het filmfestival o.a. in de volkskrant stond en op de weblog van www.cinema.nl te lezen is evenals meer verhalen van het festival.
Quote:
Uiteindelijk werd Passendale door het Belgische leger bevrijd, dat wordt kennelijk vergeten...
Aanleiding voor het maken van de film is -vermoed ik- de opofferingen tijdens de derde Ieperslag in beeld te brengen, niet de bevrijding van Passendale.
Naar boven
Fritz Kempf
Ere WikiMusketier

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Sep 2008 12:59    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Mss staat het ergens al vermeld maar ik vraag het opnieuw eens. Is de film uitgebracht in België? Hij staat vermeld in Moviemeter maar dit is van Nederland. Is er sprake dat die uitkwam, na heel wat onduidelijkheden, voor België? Confused

Ypres Salient on Pictures
Discover the Salient - Meet the men

FHSW Wikia
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Bekijk de homepage MSN Messenger
ollevc

BerichtGeplaatst: 08 Okt 2008 19:48    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Hey,

Is er nu al meer nieuws over wanneer en waar de film wordt vertoond?
Op 10 en 11 november ben ik in Amsterdam, zou ze daar eventueel ook vertoond worden?

Gr. Olivier.

BerichtGeplaatst: 10 Okt 2008 21:06    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Wat er nu bekend is : de film the making of zal morgenavond op de Canadese tv te zien zijn.
Canadese soldaten in Kandahar kregen de premiere.
Over een Europese premiere is nog steeds niets officieel bekend aldus het persagentschap van Paul Gross.
Dat de film hier zal zijn tegen 11 november is dus hoogst onwaarschijnlijk...
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 13 Okt 2008 9:18    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Ach, dat is jammer, ik had gehoopt op een speciale vertoning rondom die datum en dan het liefst in de streek zelf.

Naar boven
patrick

BerichtGeplaatst: 14 Okt 2008 0:54    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

hahaha op de site werd verteld dat de oude uniformen van ruw wol waren en dat dat voor moderne acteurs een probleem was... neeeh zoiets doe je je mensen toch niet aan..

hmmmmmm. waarschijnlijk zullen ze bullybeef ook wel veranderen naar kaviaar.

cooee
patrick
Naar boven
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 17 Okt 2008 7:52    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092082/
7,5 op IMDB, niet slecht
En:
http://marginalizedactiondinosaur.net/?p=5704

Naar boven
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 19 Okt 2008 16:08    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Om te zien wat ze er in Canada van vinden:
http://www.cefresearch.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3870&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Naar boven
Regulus 1

BerichtGeplaatst: 19 Okt 2008 16:21    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Zeer verdeelde meningen op het forum aldaar, net zoals op TGWF.
arneken

BerichtGeplaatst: 19 Okt 2008 18:32    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Verdorie Kan FEW geen speciale vertoning regelen in de kerk van Passendale op 10 of 11 november Evil of is dat net iets teveel gevraagd.

inderdaad zeer verscheidene meningen blijkbaar.
Regulus 1

BerichtGeplaatst: 19 Okt 2008 21:45    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Arne,

Naar ik indertijd vernam was dit één van de pistes die men aan het bewandelen was. Er was goede hoop om de premiere van de film in Europa naar Zonnebeke te krijgen, of toch minstens een vertoning ervan. Echter is daar al zeer lange tijd geen verder nieuws meer van vernomen.
Gezien nu ook het productiehuis nog niets officieel kon zeggen, vrees ik een beetje dat het op de lange termijn zou kunnen geschoven worden, net zoals met The Red Baron waar ook geen nieuws meer van is. De DVD is zelfs al een hele tijd uit in Duitsland, wat zeker geen goed teken is.
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 30 Okt 2008 22:08    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The National Post’s unholy obsession with Passchendaele

The National Post & other CanWest papers have now published multiple reviews of Paul Gross’ epic WWI picture Passchendaele. Their interpretation and obsession with Passchendaele is peculiar because none of the reviews seem to be particularly thrilled with the movie overall, but at the same time, they all seem to spare no energy praising the fawning and glorious portrayal of Canada, the Canadian military, militarism, Alberta, and the valour of combat in Passchendaele which were precisely the parts of the picture which I had the most difficulty with.

Now, it’s one thing to be obsessed with a movie that one believes to be of superlative value and merit. I certainly have movies of my own where I am guilty of precisely this and so it would be hypocritical of me to begrudge any reviewer of any movie the same leeway. However, neither Nigel Vhannaford of the Calgary Herald nor Chris Knight of the National Post see the movie in this way. On the contrary, both men hated Passchendaele for precisely the reasons that most of the audience in my movie theatre seemed to enjoy it and yet they praised it for the two-dimensional parts that promoted blind jingoistic nationalism and uncritical patriotism.

For instance, Knight of the National Post takes a poke at Passchendaele for not focusing on praising the province of Alberta (where much of the movie is set) enough for his liking. Passchendaele – which, admittedly, is similar to the Hollywood movie Pearl Harbor insofar as the picture takes its name for a particular battle/event that is not necessarily central to the plot – also gets slammed by Knight for not focusing enough on the glorious war and instead focusing too much on the inter-personal relationships between the main characters.

Knight writes: “Some cross-cutting between the home front and the European theatre might have helped remind us that there’s a war going on. Instead, the only clue is the behaviour of the local head of recruitment.”

I mean, it’s just madness, shear madness I say! It’s almost as if this meaningless war between the inter-related royal families of Russia, the U.K. and Germany which began over nothing isn’t the all consuming event for every single human on the planet every waking hour of every day as Knight had in mind. Knight’s disappointment that “the only clue” that we’re at war in the movie is by the behaviour of certain people in the film is borderline childish with the refrain “you mean we don’t get to see blood and guts more often” replacing the more common teenage boy obsession with wishing he got to see more breasts and asses “more often”.

But as ridiculous as Knight’s review of Passchendaele is, it pales in comparison to Vhannaford’s review.

Vhannaford went so far as to title his review “Gross’s Passchendaele does teach one thing – patriotism” which obviously lets the cat out of the bag as to what he sees as the movie’s key virtue.

Vhannaford’s critique of Passchendaele borders on Puritanism when he writes (I kid you not):

“But, it’s not all in the film — no U-boats or mutinies for instance, that would explain why it was so important so many Canadians should risk so much to kick the Germans out of Passchendaele, and why they deserve their place in the national narrative.

“What was exhaustively covered were the dynamics and dilemmas of a handful of Calgarian families circa 1917. Gratuitously so, in fact. We suspected teen sex went on in those days, but now we know. And in a doctor’s office, by George.”

Anyone who’s seen the movie will know which scene Vhannaford is referring to above. Anyone who has not seen the movie would likely think from the above passage that the scene in question is like something out of the American Pie franchise.

Not to be outdone though, Vhannaford concludes his review with this jingoistic and demonstrably false assumption:

“If all people get from this was that Canadian troops were the best of the best and saved the day for the British Empire in 1917, and there was once a place called Passchendaele that should be spoken of in awed tones, it was a well done thing. For, on this kind of shared understanding of history is patriotism based.”

So, by his own words, Vhannaford would be happy if moviegoers got nothing from the movie except how great Canada, Canadian troops, the Canadian military and the salvation of the British Empire was. The only problem with this – other than the fact that Vhannaford couldn’t bring himself to mention the anti-German hysteria which gripped Canada during WWI and which was a significant part of the storyline (indeed it was perhaps the most significant part of the storyline) – is that the Third Battle of Ypres (AKA the battle of Passchendaele) was not the salvation of the British Empire any more than it was a significant military victory. The movie and Vhannaford both gloss over the fact that any military significance of an obscene number of Canadians dying only to capture a shelled out and destroyed hamlet called Passchendaele was erased and undone in less than a fortnight by the Germans the following year who were able to easily re-capture the village.

The battle of Passchendale, in short, was significant only for the same reason that Postmodernism was significant: for its sheer absurdity.

But instead of attempting to understand the battle’s full historical context, Vhannaford and company would rather turn Canadians into mere Saraphim for the Canadian state and thus it’s no wonder they both hate and love the movie. They love the movie because — like the six-winged Seraphim angels in Christian mythology whose sole job is to uphold God’s Throne and do nothing else other than continually sing his praise for all of eternity – they see Passchendaele as instilling this same kind of uncritical praise for our secular god: the Canadian state. Conversely, they hate the movie because it dares to suggest at times that there are other things in life worth doing than praising and upholding our secular god’s throne.

http://paulitics.wordpress.com/2008/10/25/the-national-posts-unholy-obsession-with-passchendaele/

Naar boven
arneken

BerichtGeplaatst: 31 Okt 2008 13:06    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Ik vrees inderdaad ook voor zo'n scenario, Johan.

Ook ik probeerde al enkele malen uit te vissen wanneer hij in Europa zou uitkomen maar vang overal bot.
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 14 Nov 2008 23:15    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Thursday, November 13, 2008
Passchendaele - myth and reality

Ninety-one years ago this week, the men of Zephyr, Sandford, Sunderland and Uxbridge came away from Passchendaele, Belgium.

In three and a half months of fighting that fall of 1917, Canadian troops – including members of the 116th Battalion from Ontario County – had managed to seize about six kilometres of ground from the occupying German army. Before the battle, the Canadian Corps commander, General Arthur Currie, had forecast to his British superiors that taking Passchendaele would cost 16,000 Canadian casualties. He was almost exactly correct; 15,654 Canadians died, were wounded or captured there.

“Passchendaele!” Currie had exclaimed before the battle. “What’s the good of it? Let the Germans have it – keep it – rot in the mud.”

“Passchendaele,” opened this week for movie-goers – three generations later – to learn what some of the men of Ontario County experienced in the Great War.

Among those who survived that bloody encounter 91 years ago, was a 19-year-old farm boy from Reach Township. Lyman Nicholls had played hooky one afternoon from Uxbridge Secondary School to join up. He’d received his uniform, boots and enlistment papers, but by nightfall his parents had un-enlisted him because he was underage. By that summer when he turned 18, however, Nicholls legally joined up and went to war. He survived a baptism of fire at Vimy Ridge and then Passchendaele.

“Some of us signallers acted as a stretcher party,” Nicholls later said.

An officer gave him a white flag to presumably protect him from enemy machine-gun fire as members of the 116th picked up Canadian wounded. Nicholls remembered walking along wooden duck boards to keep him from sinking in the muddy bog. He and his fellow stretcher bearers walked in single file toward two German pillboxes where the wounded men awaited their assistance. Among the wounded Nicholls brought back was a young German prisoner.

“I was last (man) behind those stretcher cases and I held the German prisoner by one arm and held up the white flag, as high as I could, expecting at any minute we might be killed…But we got back safely.”

As military decision-makers often do, British Field Marshal Douglas Haig sensed the battle for Passchendaele would become the greatest victory of the 1914-1918 war. Haig himself described the place as little more than “valleys with overflowing streams…speedily transformed into long stretches of bog, impassable except by a few well-defined tracks.” Still, the final push to capture this strip of land from the German army in central Belgium, fell to the Canadians.

Another Uxbridge man who served at Passchendaele in 1917 was the commander of the 116th Battalion. It was Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Sharpe who had proposed, recruited, underwritten and trained the 1,100 volunteers from Ontario County to go to war. He and his adjutant had written of their citizen army that each man had nothing but “an ardent desire to get through the baptism of fire with as much glory and as few casualties as possible.”

But by the time the 116th got to Passchendaele, about a year later, the night raids across No Man’s Land, the frontal attacks behind creeping barrages, the repeated counterattacks of German gas, artillery and infantry, had worn the battalion down. Not in spirit, but in cumulative losses. The first seven months of service on the Western Front had killed or put out of action nearly a third of the battalion’s strength. Then, anticipating Passchendaele, Lt. Col. Sharpe wrote a letter home to Uxbridge.

“We have very little protection there and I may not pull through,” he wrote his wife, Mabel. The letter came across as a kind of last will and testament. “If it should be my fate to be among those who fall, I wish to say I have no regrets to offer. I have done my duty … I die without any fears as to the ultimate destiny of all that is immortal within me.”

Passchendaele all but destroyed the 116th. Of the 1,100 men who had volunteered in 1915-16, only 160 would come home. Lyman Nicholls, the signaller from Reach Township, survived his stretcher bearer duties there, but was wounded soon after at Cambrai. Lt. Col. Sharpe was less fortunate. A man broken by the fatigue of battle and the decimation of his battalion, never got home to Uxbridge; he committed suicide at a Montreal hospital in the spring of 1918.

Passchendaele, the battle, symbolized the war’s futility. The movie that arrives here tomorrow will remind this community – and any others that supplied citizen soldiers to the Great War – of the human cost.
Posted by Ted Barris at 7:23 PM

© http://barrisbeat.blogspot.com/2008/11/passchendaele-myth-and-reality.html

Naar boven
Nessa

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Nov 2008 15:23    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Weet er al iemand wanneer en waar deze film in België in première gaat?
Of is dit nog steeds een groot vraagteken?
Naar boven
derwisj

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Nov 2008 18:35    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Is inderdaad naar het schijnt een groot vraagteken of de film in belgie op het scherm komt...
pascal
D. Haig

BerichtGeplaatst: 30 Nov 2008 11:23    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Ik snap het niet zo goed. Waarom wordt deze film in België niet uitgebracht? Ze gaan 'm toch op koop-dvd brengen? Of is dat ook al ijdele hoop? Het is verschrikkelijk hoe dat de vrije markt ervoor zorgt dat we altijd dezelfde rommel geserveerd krijgen Crying or Very sad
Naar boven
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 30 Nov 2008 11:25    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Het blijft toch ongelooflijk dat een film over Passendale nieteens in de streek te bekijken is, kunnen we Kinepolis Kortrijk niet eens mailen met z'n allen dat die film echt een must is Confused

Naar boven
arneken

BerichtGeplaatst: 30 Nov 2008 12:47    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Ik heb ondertussen al 3 mails verzonden Yvonne en slechts op mijn eerste heb ik antwoord terug had en luidde ongeveer dat ze aan het wachten waren tot ze de rechten konden kopen ofzoiets.

Ik vrees ervoor.
Lynn

BerichtGeplaatst: 30 Nov 2008 18:37    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

arneken @ 30 Nov 2008 12:47 schreef:
Ik heb ondertussen al 3 mails verzonden Yvonne en slechts op mijn eerste heb ik antwoord terug had en luidde ongeveer dat ze aan het wachten waren tot ze de rechten konden kopen ofzoiets.

Ik vrees ervoor.

Idd, hier in Oostende hetzelfde antwoord gekregen maanden geleden.
Dit wordt een film die we tussen budgetfilms zullen moeten gaan zoeken in de mediamarkt.
Lynn

BerichtGeplaatst: 25 Dec 2008 18:27    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Passchendaele heb ik gisteravond gezien, het was niet slecht.
De oorlogsscenes zijn goor zoals het waarschijnlijk was. De 5 minuten (de climax) was er teveel aan. Ruimschoots over the top (passende uitspraak).

Het is er eentje die je moet gezien hebben als het je wat interesseerd.
Ik vond The Lost Battalion en The Trench iets beter.
eagle

BerichtGeplaatst: 26 Dec 2008 12:49    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Ook ik heb de film gezien. Net wat de film Gallipoli bedoelt te zijn voor de Australiers laat deze film de grote oorlog zien voor de Canadezen:
het begint met de mededeling dat er ten tijde van wo1 8 miljoen inwoners waren in Canada, waarvan er 600 000 ten strijde trokken. Van elke 10 strijders kwam er 1 niet terug...
verder ontstond er een grote tegenstelling tussen Canadezen van Britse en Duitse herkomst, waarbij de laatste groep opeens met groot wantrouwen beschouwd werd...
de hoofdpersoon is een sergeant die na de gevechten in 1915 terugkeert naar Canada met de diagnose neurasthenie (later shell shock genoemd), dit wordt in zijn omgeving niet goed begrepen. Uiteindelijk gaat hij terug naar het front om de derde slag om Ieper mee te maken, waaraan de titel van de film ontleend is...
fraai zijn de idyllische beelden van het Canadese landschap tegenover de bagger van Vlaanderen,
de scenes van de gevechten zijn inderdaad hard, maar ik denk dat de werkelijkheid nog veel smeriger was...
Het blijft moeilijk om een onoverzichtelijk stuk geschiedenis op een goede manier als filmverhaal weer te geven, of het wordt een droge documentaire of het is te gauw een verzonnen geheel, daar tussen in zit deze film.
Naar boven
Price of Glory

BerichtGeplaatst: 26 Dec 2008 13:11    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Is de film al te koop ? of hebben jullie hem ergens anders gezien (bios) ?

http://www.ahwk.fr
Naar boven
ijzerbroot

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Dec 2008 21:48    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Heb hem net zitten kijken. Tsja......ik weet het goed gemaakt, knip dat gezemel in het middenstuk eruit, bewaar wat je over hebt als trailer en maak dan die film nog maar een keer....maar dan goed. Valt dus, afgezien van de gevechtsscénes (want die zijn echt goed)vies tegen!
ollevc

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 Jan 2009 19:54    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Waar hebben jullie die film gezien?

Gr. Olivier

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 Jan 2009 20:34    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

"knip dat gezemel in het middenstuk eruit", je bedoelt het volgende deel?
Quote:
The central part of the film is set in a wartime Calgary of 1917, and follows Dunne's courting, but does portray what the home front was like, with the militant patriotism of men too old to fight, and the constant pressure for fresh meat recruits as Canada was still a volunteer army. The nurse's character Sarah Mann, played by Caroline Dhavernas is a bit flat and has brief but otherwise pointless morphine addiction. Her brother's character David is a bit better, but other than providing a point for which the plot to revolve around, David is the archetypal innocent Canadian soldier, naive about the reality of war. One thing that bothered me, but likely few others would ever notice is that Dunne was sent to Canada to recover, but he had no crippling wounds. Canadian soldiers were not sent back across the Atlantic unless the war was over for them, and shell shock was not considered a crippling wound. People at the time still debated whether shell shock was real or just cowardice, although the debate is touched on by the film.

overigens Passendale, het dal van de passie (van Christus), wordt inderdaad letterlijk verbeeld met de redding op een stuk duckboard, dat er als een kruis uitziet...
Quote:
While the name Passchendaele itself is Flemish for "Valley of the Passion [of Christ]", this scene is kind of awkward.

http://jetfx.livejournal.com/55513.htm
Naar boven
ijzerbroot

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 Jan 2009 20:59    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Ja, dat bedoel ik inderdaad. Wat mij betreft staat het niet in verhouding met de rest van de film (niet dat je over PTSS geen film mag maken, absoluut niet) maar als je er naar kijkt, matcht het gewoon niet, het past niet goed in elkaar. De verhouding is zoek.

Overigens denk ik dat mijn kritiek ook te maken heeft met het feit dat ik al een tijdje zit te wachten op eindelijk eens een goede WO I film gemaakt met een behoorlijk budget.
taucher

BerichtGeplaatst: 01 Jan 2009 23:41    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Nog niet zelf gezien maar dit is de opinie in Canada.
Klinkt niet echt hoopvol moet ik zeggen.

Passchendaele has a lot of problems. It's basically the love-story version of Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan. Unfortunately Gross's war scenes are not even close to being on par with Saving Private Ryan's and again, we don't even get to the WAR SCENES until an hour and twenty minutes into the film.

During the hometown Calgary scenes, Gross films it ala classic epic Hollywood cinema. This tale is grand and so is the shooting style and distracting music. Because most people read the synopsis of the film, we know what the story is and what's going to happen, so everything is anti-climatic for 80 minutes. And even if you didn't read the synopsis (like I did and knew nothing about this film at all except it was suppose to be a war movie), the filmmaker tips his hat in such an obvious way, you know exactly what's going to happen.

All with the exception of that morphine addiction sub-plot that really isn't necessary and doesn't fit into the overall theme of Passchendaele at all. And the father of the addict and her brother has a sketchy past that effects the mood of the brother.

When we (finally!) get to Passchendaele, things just happen so quickly, the movie is over before you even blink. We see David Mann run, we see David Mann on a cross and we see David Mann try to get saved ---- then the movie is over.
Passchendaele is a wasted film within the Canadian film industry that has such a large budget in comparison to the resources and marketing means the country has, there is absolutely no way this movie can ever make its money back. So what's the point? There isn't any because the irony of this 'Canadian war story' is that 9 out of 10 Canadians are more likely to rent or buy Saving Private before they ever attempt to go see Passchendaele at the cinema. And they shouldn't because it's not nearly worth the price of admission.
Naar boven
magicdutchmen

BerichtGeplaatst: 03 Jan 2009 2:27    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Deze film valt redelijk makkelijk op een 'alternatieve wijze' te verkrijgen. Stuur maar een pb. (eerlijkheidshalve moet ik toegeven dat ik hem zelf nog niet heb gekeken)
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Bekijk de homepage
marc v megroot

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Jan 2009 20:26    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Gisteren even binnen gehaald en vanmiddag gekeken.
Het laatste half uur vond ik de moeite waard, en dat me echt de beelden van de loopgravenoorlog bracht.
De rest vond ik te zoet, misschien toch wel inhoud, maar de zoete koek was aan mij niet besteed.
Mijn recensie: vinden we als tweede rangs film wel terug volgend jaar bij de aktie 3 voor 25 euro.

Marc
paling

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Jan 2009 17:52    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

magicdutchmen @ 03 Jan 2009 2:27 schreef:
Deze film valt redelijk makkelijk op een 'alternatieve wijze' te verkrijgen. Stuur maar een pb. (eerlijkheidshalve moet ik toegeven dat ik hem zelf nog niet heb gekeken)

Zo geheimzinnig hoeven we er hier niet over te zijn hoor. Smile Het is een externe bron waar FEW weinig aan kan doen. Dus vertel maar, nieuwgroepen, torrents, etc?
magicdutchmen

BerichtGeplaatst: 05 Jan 2009 23:16    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Meestal wordt het noemen van torrents etc. streng afgestraft. Maar aangezien ik moe wordt van de pm's.
Te verkrijgen op www.bitsoup.org(registratie voorlopig even gesloten volgens mij) /www.demonoid.com (invite nodig) en de open torrent sites; gewoon kwestie van googlen: 'Passchendaele torrent'
Nieuwsgroepen doe ik niet aan en niemand download hier waarschijnlijk via ?rapidshare?
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Bekijk de homepage
stijn

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Jan 2009 11:02    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

hey,

Ik heb hem gedownload via isohunt, ik had hem binnen en toen ik het wou openen met winrar dan vraagt paswoord! Dusja weeer zoeken.

Heeft er niemand een specifieke website zonder in te loggen ofzo?

Mvg,

Stijn

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Jan 2009 11:11    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Hey,

Dat is hier een goed ding om te zoeken:

http://thepiratebay.org

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Jan 2009 11:50    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Via.
even zoeken op mininova en je hebt hem zo.
Als downloader gebruik ik Limewirepro of Bittorrent.

gisteren ook het eerste uur van Flyboys gezien. Deze film pakte me meer en gaf wat mij betreft de gevoelens en gevaren bij deze jongens meer dan Passchendaele. Vanavond verder kijken

Marc
paling

BerichtGeplaatst: 07 Jan 2009 12:29    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Via nieuwsgroepen ook beschikbaar (FTD).
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Tv,films en Social Media Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Ga naar Pagina Vorige  1, 2, 3, 4  Volgende
Pagina 2 van 4

Ga naar: