Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hťt WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privť berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privť berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

Daffodil to honour Gallipoli troops

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Anzac eenheden Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Mirjam

BerichtGeplaatst: 08 Sep 2013 20:30    Onderwerp: Daffodil to honour Gallipoli troops Reageer met quote

Quote:
A NEW daffodil has been created in Britain to commemorate the sacrifice of those who died in one of the bloodiest campaigns of the First World War - and it has been 21 years in the making.
Ron Scamp has named his new variety Gallipoli Dawn in honour of those who fought in the Dardanelles Campaign in 1915. He also hopes the flower will raise much-needed funds for the British organisation set up to remember those killed and wounded in the bitter fighting in what is modern-day Turkey.

Scamp, who with his wife Maureen and son Adrian, grows more than 3000 varieties of daffodil - the largest collection in the world - in Falmouth, Cornwall, said: "I made the first 'cross' of this daffodil in 1992, it first flowered in 1997 and it usually takes another six to 12 years to develop to a commercial variety.

"This daffodil is an all-yellow, strong growing variety for the garden and has already won prizes in exhibition. When the Gallipoli Association approached me and asked me if I had a variety that could be named for the centenary commemoration I was deeply honoured."

Gallipoli Dawn will be on sale soon at three for STG12 (about $A20). The price reflects the scarcity of the variety - Scamp expects to have no more than 200 bulbs for sale this year, with the numbers growing slowly as 2015, the centenary of the campaign which claimed about 60,000 Allied lives, approaches.

Lyn Edmonds, executive officer for the Gallipoli Association's G100 centenary committee, said Scamp will be making a donation from every sale. This will be used to boost funds aimed at taking British schoolchildren to the battlefields where 100 years earlier thousands fought and died in searing heat and inhospitable terrain.

"Our image of the Gallipoli campaign is usually one dominated by memories of Australian and New Zealand troops, the Anzacs. Of course, it's right to recognise their bravery and sacrifice, but in fact far more British servicemen died in the campaign and we are determined to ensure their contribution is not forgotten as the centenary approaches," said Edmonds.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/world/daffodil-to-honour-gallipoli-troops/story-e6frfkui-1226714638830#ixzz2eKa7ieaV[/quote]

http://hvhwo2.wordpress.com/
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privť bericht Bekijk de homepage
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Anzac eenheden Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: